Saturday, June 28, 2008

My competitive nature





I know I'm a fairly competitive person, and that's fine. The problem is, If I have a fair understanding of something I figure I can compete at it. Sometimes it works out, other times not so much (key lime pie comes to mind).
Well, yesterday I entered a Dutch Oven Cook-off. I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually cooked in a dutch oven. However, I have watched my dad do it for years and I read up on the internet so I had a fairly good understanding of how to pull it off. It was a real kick. There was a good mix of competitors, some first-timers and some die-hards. Here's what I made: 
Raspberry-Apricot glazed cornish game hens with wild rice stuffing. 
Black & White Cheesecake with a chocolate almond crust.

Aren't they pretty? Well, the cheesecake looks better than it tasted and got 3rd place. The hens on the other hand took first! Woohoo! Cash prizes too. It was so fun you might find me at the state fair. I wonder what other competitions are waiting for me out there...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go miss "i can do anything" i'm proud of you. keep on cookin'

Hideaway Girl said...

Way to go Hal...I mean Mindy!! :) Nothing wrong with being competitive - especially when prizes are involved. Nice apron! Livie was all over that missed sleepover - Cannot tell you how many times she asked to call.