Wednesday, June 25, 2008

17 Going on 34

I love that movie. I saw it in the theatre the first time and the urge to get up and dance to Thriller was almost too strong to resist. 
Well, I have recently had a few flashbacks myself. When I was 17 I went to the orthodontist to get set up with braces. I foolishly decided against them, being too self-conscious or vain to sport metal choppers my senior year of high school. That was also the year I was preparing for college. I had tests to take and classes to register for. 
Here we go again. I went to the orthodontist yesterday. He told me I will need to wear braces for about 2 years. That's if I'm diligent with my elastics. The deterrent this time around has nothing to do with how I'll look, but how I'll pay for it.  Our insurance pays for braces but only if you're under 19. So, the grand total of $4800 lies solely with me. Wow.
Another thing I did yesterday was take my college placement test.  The boys will both be in school all day this fall so I thought I'd just do the same. It's been about 12 years since I've been to college and more like 16 since I've taken a math class. This test was all math and english. Jerm tried to convince me to study but I don't think I've EVER done that successfully. So I didn't. I wasn't worried about the english section. Should have been. Turns out I need to take an english class. I was worried about the math section. I don't even remember what a logarithm is, let alone how to do one. Much to my pleasant suprise, I did really well. Thankfully there wasn't a logarithm in sight. I AM a math genius after all! :) I've always been fond of those little x's and y's and they came through for me.
As I look through the college catalog and narrow down the classes I want to take, I keep coming back to the dance section. I've always loved taking dance classes. Although some things haven't changed much since I was 17, some things should have. I should be less willing to frolic about in a leotard. Intro to Ballet- Here I come!

5 comments:

Lindell said...

I LOVE IT! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you :) We should have study group!

angie said...

"butt in Angela" oh the horror of college ballet! i still have nightmares. however you are much more coordinated than I, with much more poise and grace! way to go.

Hideaway Girl said...

Braces, how exciting!! Maybe you’ll be lucky like I was and get to wear a headgear too - Yes, I was the cool one back in the day :) I am sure it would be a real turn on for Jerm. (picture Joan Cusack in 16 candles). School sounds like FUN, but have to say I am with Angie – college dance classes would scare the pants off me, but then again I've never even figured out how to point my toes.

Anonymous said...

braces, ballet and books. bravo!

Beth at Aunties said...

you go girl! we wish our chubbie bodies could take college ballet, WAIT maybe that is what we need! we just might do it to amuse ourselves come next spring:) You know after the holiday goodies, we do love those goodies.
Please post progress pictures so we can see!