Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I Love TV

It's true. I don't drink, do drugs, wear tube tops, swear, smoke or spit. But I do watch tv and plenty of it. Say what you will, I don't care. I watch all kinds- comedies, dramas, cops & robbers, reality, romance, cartoons, news and game shows- love 'em all. I've been in between semesters for about a month so, I've had fair opportunity to catch up on my programs. One lovely winter morning I flipped on the tube for my morning routine (Matt Lauer then Drew Carey "come on down!") No TV. There was however, a message from the cable company flashing across the screen telling me to pay my bill if I want to continue service. hmm. I know Jerm and I were discussing ways in which we could save a few bucks, and I sort of remember cable TV coming in to the conversation. Nothing was clear in my head, I panicked. I called Jerm on his cell (thankfully we still had service), he confirmed the cable being shut off. Bummer. He didn't have the same urgency to remedy the problem as I did.  After subtle hinting and a little nagging he built me an antenna. He made this thing out of tinfoil, cardboard and a spare 2x4; stuck it in the attic and tada! mama has her stories.
Now, I'm still adjusting to my lack of cable. Some of my favorite shows are no longer available to me. The list is too long for this already lengthy blog but here are a few:
I'll see you soon Mr. Monk. I'm not willing to give you up completely so I will be downloading you on to my iPod.

There's nothing like the soothing sound of Lennie Briscoe in the middle of the afternoon when your folding laundry. I may miss you the most. Buh buh. 








I've been filling Lennie's void with a combination of Ben and Judge Judy. eh.
Oh how I love reality marathons. America's Next Top Model, Top Chef & Project Runway.
I was just getting into reruns of 6 feet under and Leverage. They had better put Dexter back on NBC, and I feel ill when I think of all the old movies I don't know I'm missing.* Done ranting*
There is a glimmer of hope. I've heard there's a local channel that airs my friend Tom at 10. 
I haven't found him yet but I haven't given up. Jerm might have to crawl up in to the attic and add some more sawdust to his magic contraption.
The worst part? No DVR. I've been a DVR advocate since day 1. I should get a commission from TiVo for all the people I talked into it! Simply the best invention since cable itself. The joy of coming home after a long day, putting the kids to bed and watching all the stuff I missed. Ahh. 
Those days are GONE sista! If I want to watch something later I'm going to have to figure out how to work the VCR again! And will someone please tell me what in the heck I'm supposed to do on Thursday nights when The Office, Ugly Betty and Survivor are all on at once?!
I'm living in the dark ages here folks.


5 comments:

Lindell said...

From one TV lover to another: Tivo is one of my top ten best friends, I don't know how you do it. You're welcome to watch Betty and the office over here anytime so you can watch survivor on Thursdays (I'm looking out for ya :) Cute cute new page, love it.

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry to hear about your loss. tv (tivo, dvr) are right up there with my water softner. it would take a nuclear blast to rid me of them. they are not luxuries, they are necessities in my world.
i would rather give up food, car, iphone, i would even give up darrell's harley... i hope this crisis ends soon for you.

p.s so happy to see you back in the blogging atmosphere.

angie said...

I'm sorry for your loss, one day we will prevail and enter the world of choice and tv opportunity again. the only difference between you and i is that i have never felt the joy of dvr, but the sting over the loss of channel indulgence does dull itself after a while. One day my friend, One day, We will have Arrived and the Choice will be ours Tom or Ponch, or Both! And welcome back, welcome back, welcome back. To you and one day again Kotter.

Hideaway Girl said...

Man that Tom is one FURRY guy!

How SAD for you - I know how much you LOVE TV! We STILL have never experienced the tivo love (although you actually DID just about have us talked into it once), we only have satellite on one TV (a jimmy-rigged deal itself), and I never have control over it. I don't even know what shows are on TV. My entertainment comes from DVD's I check out at the library (sure do LOVE that Masterpiece theater). SO, I don't really know what your talking about! Therefore, I could totally be be wrong, but can't you watch most shows (whenever you want) online these days?

By the way, you can still access my crafty blog from my family blog - ALWAYS could (lower right side bar). Not a lot of crafting going on these days. Oh, but there is something in the works...might just have to come & see you soon :)

Camille said...

Okay Mindy, I am so glad that you have a blog. I have seriously never read a more entertaining blog!! You are so much fun. I am laughing so hard right now I could cry.
I am sorry about your TV loss as well. I too love to fold laundry and watch Law and Order in the middle of the day! I also do not have a DVR, but will dream with you about owning one!!
Chat with you soon.